Honda Search Engine

Custom Search

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My D15B2 N/A Build

In 2009 I decided to do a rebuild of a D15B2 that I had bought a few years previously. My goal for this build was to keep it affordable, make more power, and keep most of the factory reliability.

d15b2

I started by stripping the block down and giving it a good cleaning both inside and out.

journals

I had the block bored .5mm (.020in) and decked .010in.

block

Purchased and installed new NPR pm3 pistons, NPR piston rings, ACL Bearings, and ACL thrust washers.

pistonsbearings

Kept the stock crank and connecting rods, but replaced the stock rod bolts with ARP's.

rodbolts

Pistons in the block:

pistonsin

I also installed ARP head studs to help prevent head-lift at high rpm.

headstuds

headstudsin

Also had the flywheel resurfaced:

flywheel

That is mostly it as far as the bottom end assembly goes, just a few more accessory bolt-ons and it was complete.

Now for the head, the most important part to modify when attempting to increase the output of an engine.

I started by having the head milled .040in. With a .010in block deck and MLS head gasket, this will yield a compression ratio of 11.3:1. Much improved over the stock 9.2:1.

milledhead

I didn't do too much as far as port work. I cleaned up some factory casting flaws, and port matched the intake ports.

Photobucket

Replaced the stock valve springs with Bisimoto springs.

bisisprings

Went with a Delta 272 camshaft.

deltacam

Unorthodox four bolt adjustable cam gear:

unorthodox

Here is the engine with the assembled head bolted on:

camgear

For the exhaust I went with a fiberglass wrapped Megan Racing header, test pipe, and OBX 2.5in catback.

catback

I decided to stay OBD-0. Had the D16A6 injectors flow-tested and cleaned by cruzinperformance.com

injectors

Went with a stock D16Z6 intake manifold + throttle body. This image compares it with a D15B7 intake manifold. Note the larger, slightly shorter runners:

Photobucket

The ECU is a pm6 chipped and basemapped by xenocron.com. The rev limiter is set at 7500rpm

Photobucket

Here is the engine fully assembled and ready to be dropped in:

Photobucket

Finally, the project is completed. Dyno charts and quarter mile times coming soon!

newenginedone





















4 comments:

  1. Hey, my name is Josh and I am trying to build my D15B2 engine as well. How much did this cost you? My head and cam are shot What would you do in my case? I want to get the block if needed trued cleaned and bored like you did. I'm not trying to race it but I do like power. I have asked serveral people and they tell me I am crazy please help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here except my engine isn't broke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to see what gains this made I'm also going to be building my d15b2

    ReplyDelete
  4. sup,I want to build my d15b1.how much i need,only the block cause i put it a new d16Y7 head

    ReplyDelete